Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Attached below is the statement released by the Mississippi High School Activities Association. Football season will take place. The season has been pushed back two weeks.
MHSAA School Guidelines for Fall Sport is listed below.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list and there might be additional steps in each community to help prevent the spread of virus. Even when taking all precautions, there will still be risk of transmitting illnesses. Everyone should stay vigilant about the health of members of their teams. These guidelines are to be integrated with the NFHS guidelines and the MHSAA Mississippi Sports Medicine guidelines. The situation with Covid-19 is rapidly changing. Please keep up with the latest from the CDC and the Mississippi Department of Health.
On Site Considerations
- Post social distancing signs
- No mask no entry
- Hand sanitizing stations
- On duty personnel wear mask/gloves
- Restroom attendant mask/gloves
- Concession stand workers mask/gloves
- Only clock operator & PA announcer in the press box
- Sanitize before and after
- Size of facility should be large enough to social distance
- Time spent in dressing room for home/away team should not be excessive
- Do not share personal items such as towels, water bottles, etc.
- No handshakes, high fives, fist bumps before/after game
Band & Spirit Teams
- Band will travel to away games at discretion of school administration
- Band must wait until both teams exit field at halftime before entering
- Cheer teams spaced on sidelines for social distancing (stunt with admin approval)
- Dance teams spaced on sidelines for social distancing
- No visiting before/after game or half-time between schools
Return to Competition
1. FOOTBALL RULES CONSIDERATIONS
o TEAM BOX (Rule 1-2-3g)
- The team box may be extended on both sides of the field to the 10-yard lines (for players only) in order for more social-distancing space for the teams.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times while in the team box.
- Do not share uniforms, towels and other apparel and equipment.
- BALL (Rule 1-3-2)
- The ball should be cleaned and sanitized throughout the contest as recommended by the ball manufacturer.
- The ball holders should maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times during the contest.
- FACE MASKS [Rules 1-5-1a, 1-5-3c (4)]
- Cloth face coverings are permissible.
- Plastic shields covering the entire face (unless integrated into the face mask and attached to the helmet and clear without the presence of any tint) shall not be allowed during the contest.
- TOOTH AND MOUTH PROTECTORS [Rule 1-5-1d(5)]
▪ **Still being determined at this time on how to best handle the tooth and mouth protector during the contest. The NFHS SMAC will update the membership as soon as guidance is developed for all sports that require a tooth and mouth protector.
- GLOVES (Rule 1-5-2b)
▪ Gloves are permissible but still must comply with Rule 1-5-2b by meeting either the NOCSAE Standard or the SFIA Specification.
- STATE ASSOCIATION ADOPTIONS (Rule 1-7)
▪ Each state association may adopt other playing/administrative rules for football for the 2020 season that would decrease exposure to respiratory droplets and COVID-19.
- CHARGED TIME-OUTS AND AUTHORIZED CONFERENCES (Rules 2-6-2, 3-5-3, 3-5-8)
- A single charged time-out may be extended to a maximum of two minutes in length.
- The authorized conference for the charged time-out should take place between the 9yard marks and not at the sideline for social-distancing purposes. (It would be
permissible for more than one coach to be involved in this conference and for technology to be used.)
- Each game official and player should have their own beverage container brought out to them on the field.
- INTERMISSION BETWEEN PERIODS AND AFTER SCORING (Rule 3-5-7l)
▪ The intermission may be extended to a maximum of two minutes between the first and second and the third and fourth periods and following a try, successful field goal or safety, and prior to the succeeding free kick.
- FOOTBALL GAME OFFICIALS MANUAL CONSIDERATIONS
GAME OFFICIALS UNIFORM AND EQUIPMENT
- Electronic whistles are permissible (supplies are limited).
- Choose a whistle whose tone will carry outside.
- Fox 40 Mini-
- Fox 40 Unisex Electronic-(3 tone)
- Ergo-Guard-(3 tone)-orange
- Windsor-(3 tone)
- Check the market for other choices
- Gloves are permissible.
- Cloth face coverings are permissible
- Do not share uniforms, towels and other apparel and equipment.
o PREGAME CONFERENCE, COIN TOSS AND OVERTIME PROCEDURES
- For the coin toss, limit attendees to the referee, umpire and one designated representative from each team.
- Coin toss should take place in the center of the field with designated individuals maintaining social distancing of 6 feet.
- No handshakes prior to and following the coin toss.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet while performing all pregame responsibilities with all officiating crew members, game administration staff, line-to-gain crew, clock operators, individuals handling the balls during the game and team personnel.
- For the overtime procedure, please use the same procedure as used at the start of the contest for the coin toss.
3.PRE AND POST GAME CONSIDERATIONS
- Suspend pregame protocol of shaking hands during introductions.
- Suspend postgame protocol of shaking hands.
4.FINAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR FOOTBALL
- Before, during and after the contest, players, coaches, game officials, team personnel and game administration officials should wash and sanitize their hands as often as possible.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times while on the sidelines and on the field of play when possible.
- Everyone should have their own beverage container that is not shared.
- Cloth face coverings are permissible for all coaches and team staff and for all game administration officials.
- Gloves are permissible for all coaches and team staff and for all game administration officials.
- Try and limit the number of non-essential personnel who are on the field level throughout the contest.
- If available, dressing facilities for game officials and teams should be large enough for them to use social-distancing protocols and should be properly cleaned and sanitized prior to their arrival.
- Attendance policy & quarantine procedure will be determined before team competition begins and at the appropriate time.
NOTE: Information contained within this document is best practices and is provided for general guidance only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional or medical advice. The MHSAA will continue to work with state officials and other related agencies to determine potential modifications. As information and data are updated, the MHSAA will adjust accordingly.
MageeNews.com is an online website covering Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.