Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
The first order of business during the Simpson County Board of Supervisors first meeting of the year, January 3, 2022, was to appoint a new Board President. Brian Kennedy was unanimously voted to file the position of President and Donnie Welch as Vice President.
Bids and proof of Publication for Project 64(64) was opened. Beacon Construction was awarded the bid at a cost of $599,821.90.
Bid and proof of publication was opened for the county’s depository fund for a period of 2 years. Bancorp and Peoples/Priority One submitted bids. Peoples/Priority One was the best bid.
Buddy Wolverton, County Engineer, reported the status of State-Aid & LSSBP Projects as of December 31, 2021.
- SAP-64(16)M – Surface Maintenance on Cato Road is at 90% completed with 80% Elapse time. Contractor has addressed punch list items.
- SAP-64(19)S – Surface Maintenance on Mt. Zion to Shivers Road and St. Johns Road is at 90% completed with 80% Elapse time. Contractor has completed the punch list items.
- LSBP-64(23) – Bridge replacement on Sofa Road is 85% Completed with 80% Elapse time. Contractor as completed box bridge. Finishing approaches.
- SAP-64(64) – Grade, drain, base and surface for Star to Braxton Road iOpen bids Monday, January 3, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
- LSBP-64(24) – Working on P.S. & E.. Assembly. Have mailed out utility agreement. Can start right of way acquisition.
- SAP-64(65) – 9Bridge Replacement) Dry Creek Road – Office review plans were mailed to State Aid on September 27, 2021. Awaiting completion of environmental review.
Sheriff Paul Mullins submitted the following items for approval.
- Approval of pay December 2021 Summit Food Service invoices in the amount of $17,531.28.
- Katie McAfee new hire jail full time non-certified.
- Crisis Call Handling training at $150 each and Stress Management Training each for dispatchers A J Bowman, Annette Turner, Chantell Meadows, and Tiffany Rutland.
- Travel expenses for orientation course in Ridgeland, MS for dispatcher Taylor House.
- Yearly renewal for US Police Caine membership in the amount of $100 for Joe Andrews.
The Simpson County Election committee met before the board to suggest moving the polling location of Magee North from the Police Station to the Civic Center. The move will take place in the March 22 special election for the school board bond. A request to the Secretary of State’s Office will be made requesting the combining of the two precincts Magee North and Magee South.
The board approved the burial of a dead horse for Red Everett at 404 N Maple Street, D’Lo, MS.
The board approved the proposed auction by J M Wood Auction Company to be held March 15-19, 2022 for 3-2020 Kenworth T880 dump trucks.
The board approved the Chancery Court Order re-appointing April Taylor Bryant as Chancery Court effective October 1, 2022. Simpson County’s monthly reimbursement to Jefferson Davis Board of Supervisors will be $1886.86.
The board approved the Circuit Court order for the counties of Smith, Covington, and Jasper to reimburse Simpson County for the cost of the judicial robes for Circuit Court Judge Matthew G Sullivan effective April 22, 2021. Cost of robes totaled $2067.90.
Solid Waste adjusted routes for the week of January 17, 2022 will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday due to MLK holiday on January 17, 2022.
Future Board Meeting:
- Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. public hearing for Simpson County redistricting.
- Tuesday, January 18, 2022
- Monday, February 7, 2022
- MLK/RE Lee Holiday – Monday, January 17, 2022.
- President’s Day Holiday – Monday, February 21, 2022.
A video of the meeting is attached below.
With no further business the meeting entered into executive session to discuss personal issues.
MageeNews.com is an online news source serving Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.