Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Simpson County Technical Center (SCTC) had big wins during the 2023 Mississippi SkillsUSA State Championship in Jackson.
SCTC students took home three gold awards, representing first place and state title; two silver awards, representing second place; and one bronze award, representing third place. Those award winners included:
· Jody Stevens, Gold Award in Sheet Metal
· Eli Peacock, Gold Award in CNC Milling Specialist
· Alex Anderson, Gold Award in Motorcycle Service Technology
· Colby Wilmut, Silver Award in CNC Turning Specialist
· John Parker, Xylan Cox and Andrew Carlisle, Silver Award in Crime Scene Investigation
· Lane Shows, Allison Shows, Gage Kemp and Hunter Booth, Bronze Award in Teamworks
For winning state titles, Stevens, Peacock and Anderson will advance to the National SkillsUSA Leadership Conference in Atlanta, in June. This will be Stevens second time representing SCTC and Simpson County at the national competition after winning first place in sheet metal last year.
The SkillsUSA Competition brings together industry and labor representatives, educators, and the public to watch students compete in leadership and hands-on skill events. Winners advance through district and state competition, and the best of the best make it to the national event. Students benefit no matter how they place in their contests. They test their skills, frequently make job contacts, and have a chance for recognition. District, state, and national winners receive gold, silver, and bronze medallions, scholarships, tools, and other awards.
MageeNews.com is a news source serving Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.