Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Simpson County Board of Supervisors opened the September 13, 2019 meeting with prayer by Danny Welch.
First order of business was the Buddy Wolverton County Engineer report on state-aid, federal aid, LSBP & ERBR Projects
- STP-03293(6) – Mt Zion to Shivers Road (Resurfacing) is awaiting funds
- ERBR-STP/BR-0064(23)B – Heed Neely Road (Bridge)
- 60% complete
- 60% elapsed time
- Contractor cleared and grubbed project site, built approaches, removed existing bridge and driven piling for bents #1, #2, and #3. Set spans for #1 and #2.
- LSP-64 (22) Jake Barnes Road (Bridge)
- 25% Complete
- 20% Elapsed time
- Contractor cleared grubbed project site, removed existing bridge, and driven piles in bent #2 and #3. Still awaiting utility relocation.
- ERBR-64(02) Rockport – New Hebron Road (Bridge Rehabilitation Project)
- 40% completed
- 40 % elapsed time
- Contractor has driven piling for bents #4, #5, #6, and #7. Set spans for #4, #5, and #6.
Road Manager Ben Warren presented his monthly report for approval. Mr. Warren stated 50-60 roads were closed during the storm due to damage. Crews are busy cleaning debris up along side of the roads. The following were approved.
- MDOT Drive Application for David Sherman
- MDOT Driveway application for Kenneth Rankin
- Easement for Archie Skiffer for ditch removal
- Easement for Snooky Dikerson to bury dead horse.
- Hire Ronald Hosey for the Bushog crew.
Supervisor Randy Moore advised the board he had received a compliment from a citizen stating how great of a job the work crew is doing.
In Sheriff business the board approved the membership dues for the National Sherriff’s Association membership for year 2020. The board approved for Brandi Mitchell dispatcher to attend BETST November 15, 2019 at the Clinton fire Department.
The board approved the following personnel
- Hire Joshua Bryant part-time certified deputy as a new hire
- Move Amber Buckley to full-time jail RN.
- Hier Vanessa Marie Black as a new hire Full-time non-certified.
- Hire Annette Turner as a dispatcher part-time certified.
- Hire Wanda Norris as a dispatch new hire part-time certified.
- Hire Miranda Dilmore as a dispatcher part-time certified.
- Hire Virginia Mahaffey as a dispatcher part-time non-certified.
Tax Assessor-Collector Charles Baldwin requested the board purchase new software and tablet due to the system in play now was obsolete and no support available. The board approved to purchase the software for a cost of $3000.00.
Chancery Clerk Tommy Joe Harvey presented the board certificates of attendance for Judges Ted Blakeney and Charles Sevell for the Justice Court Fall Conference that was attended on October 9-11, 2019. The board approved the Simpson County School Board leases that were presented. A final certificate of the Department of Revenue approving real and personal rolls was noted.
County Administrator Rhuel Dickinson requested approval for the folowoing authorizations:
- Approve a grant of $130,000 to the City of Mendenhall of accumulated fire equipment funds for the purchase of a new Rosenbauer Custom FX Pumper with 1,500 GPM Pump.
- Approve School Bus Turnaround approved by the Simpson County School Board.
- Approve the election systems and software election machines maintenance for $6,923 for 2020.
- Authorize the County Administrator to approve the lowest quotation bid for the repair/replacement of the HVAC unit at the Cooperative Extension Building.
- Approve travel, registration, lodging and meals for the Supervisors and staff to attend the Miss Association of Supervisors 2020 Mid-Winter Conference in Jackson, MS at the Hilton Convention Center on January 7-9, 2020.
Future Board Meeting Reminders:
- Friday, November 15, 2019
- Monday, December 2, 2019
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- Monday, January 6, 2020
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020
The county office will observe the following holidays!
- Veterans Day, Monday, November 11, 2019
- Thanksgiving Day Holiday, November 28 & 29, 2019
- Christmas Holiday – December 24 & 25, 2019
- New Year’s Holiday Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- Martin Luther King’s Holiday Monday, January 29, 2020