Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Benji Bailey, a legal representative of MS Hub, met before the board to object to the Simpson County Evaluation (taxes) placed on Mississippi Hub. Simpson County Tax office list the property value at $342,000,000. MS Hub states the value of the property is $160,000,000 for all three counties. MS Hub feels the property is over valued. MS Hub has agreed to sit with the Board and MS Hubs Experts to discuss the value further. The Board agreed to meet with representative of MS Hub and find a solution. According to Jamie Brewer, Tax Assessor, no changes have been made that have been set by the Department of Revenue.
Magee Strip Mall questioned the value of their property. The new owner of Tuscan Towers has requested a meeting with the Simpson County Tax Assessor to look at the assessments in more depth.
Buddy Wolverton, County Engineer, reported the status of State-Aid & LSSBP Projects as of June 30, 2021.
- Annual Maintenance Inspection of completed State Aid Projects
- June 22 – 23, 2021
- SAP-64(16)M – Surface Maintenance on Cato Road is at 27.41% completed with 15% Elapse time. The Contractor has completed the base repairs and leveling. Project will be resealed in August.
- SAP-64(19)S – Surface Maintenance on Mt. Zion to Shivers Road and St. Johns Road is at 36.72% completed with 21.82% Elapse time. The contractor has completed base repairs and leveling. Project will be resealed in August.
- LSBP-64(23) – Bridge replacement on Sofa Road is 10% Completed with 15% Elapse time. Contractor has cleared and grubbed site installed silt fencing.
- SAP-64(64) – Grade, drain, base and surface for Star to Braxton Road is at the stage of working on assembly of P.S. & E to be mailed. Utility agreements have been mailed. Need to finish acquiring right of way.
- LSBP-64(24) – Bridge Replacement Shorter Road – Office review plans were mailed to State Aid on July 27, 2021.
- SAP-64965) – Bridge Replacement Dry Creek Road P.S. & E. Plans were mailed to State Aid eon July 26, 2021.
Sheriff Paul Mullins presented the following personnel report for hire. Adrian Durr was approved as deputy full time certified. Charles Garrett Gray was approved aa a full-time non-certified deputy. Eric Brown was approved for hire as a deputy part-time certified. Justin Daniel Brown was approved as a road department transferring to jail full-time. Mullins made the board aware with the COVID cases increasing, the state has mandated state-wide no visitors for prisoners. As of today, nothing has been said about inmates working for road departments etc. The Sheriff will keep a watch and notify the board if any changes are received.
The Board approved the claim settlement of $24,553,80 for 2020 Dodge Ram in the road department hit by lighting. The board approved the purchase of #7 limestone at State Contract Price from Warren which had the lowest price delivered. The board approved to purchase 500# rip rap from Miller Materials at State Contract Price of $54.68 per ton delivered.
The Board approved the certificate of approval to pay tax assessor for filing assessment rolls. The Board approved an order setting salary and reappointing of AOC Secretary III – Dionne McKinnley. The board approved the Simpson County School Board leases submitted.
Future Board Meeting:
- Monday, August 16, 2021 – Recessed Meeting
- Tuesday, August 17, 2021 – Recessed budget work session
- Tuesday, September 7, 2021 Regular Meeting
- Wednesday, September 15, 2021 – Recessed Meeting, Budget Hearing and Tax Levy Hearing.
- Thursday, September 30, 2021 – Recessed Meeting for Fiscal year End.
- Labor Day – September 6, 2021
A video of the meeting is attached below.
With no further business meeting entered into executive session to discuss personnel issues.
MageeNews.com is an online news source serving Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.