Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
SCSD Recognizes Graduating Seniors at First Career, Military and College Signing Day
Simpson County School District (SCSD) held its first Career, Military and College Signing Day event today, May 19, at the Copiah-Lincoln Community College, Simpson County Center.
Designed to honor graduating students from both Magee and Mendenhall high schools, the event brought together seniors, families, and community members and partners to recognize the students on their future endeavors.
During the event, career coaches for SCSD and other district and school administrators acknowledged the students’ next steps after graduation — whether they would be attending college, enlisting in the military, or entering the workforce.
Misty Hanna, SCSD’s federal program director, said she is looking forward to the event next year and hopes that the venue space will be full to capacity with student participation.
“It was an honor to be able to recognize our students who have committed to a college, career, or enlistment in a military branch,” said Hanna. “Our career coaches, April Dear and Louise Coleman, did an outstanding job of making this event a success and memorable for our seniors.”
Participating in the Career, Military and College Signing Day included students attending:
Alcorn State University
- Cameran Bramlett, Mendenhall High School, biology/nursing major
Copiah-Lincoln Community College
- Alva Foxx, Mendenhall High School, business administration major
- Braya McCLendon, Mendenhall High School, neonatal intensive care unit major
- Savanna Chappell, Mendenhall High School, nursing major
Hinds Community College
- Jaden McKinnis, Mendenhall High School, business administration major
Jackson State University
- Singleton Moore, Mendenhall High School, pre-physical therapy major and Air National Guard enlistee
Jones Community College
- Yasmine Mackey, Mendenhall High School, nursing major
- Vivian Russell, Mendenhall High School, radiology major
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
- Amoni Banks, Mendenhall High School, radiology major
University of Mississippi
- MaKayla McCray, Mendenhall High School, biology major
United States Army
- Charles Lyman, Mendenhall High School, infantryman enlistee
The Career, Military and College Signing Day event is a component of SCSD’s new strategic vision, Portrait of a Graduate, which serves as the district’s north star in how administrators, educators, staff, and community partners work together to help students ensure become college, career, or life ready after graduation.
Simpson County School District would like to thank the following sponsors for making this event possible and providing refreshments, awards, supplies and goodies for the students: AirSouth Cooling and Heating; Assured Partners; Central Mississippi Planning & Development District; Copiah Lincoln Community College; Dr. Kimberly Blair Smith; New Vision Fellowship; Peoples Bank of Mendenhall; Polk’s Meat Products; PriorityOne Bank of Mendenhall; Trustmark Bank of Magee; and 3Girls Trucking Academy.
MageeNews.com is an online news website covering Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.