Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Simpson County School Board met Thursday, January 13, 2022, for their regular scheduled board meeting. All members were present.
The first order of business was to elect new officers for the year. Danny Cowart was elected President, Lilly Hardy – Vice President, and Patrice Boykin – Secretary.
The following retirements were honored by the board; Martha Holmon, Kristie Mangum, and Pamela Lamberson. The following resignations were approved: Shawntae Walker, Randy Williams, Patrice Williams, Rebecca Bridges.
The following personnel were approved for hire: Ashley Ransey, Glen Smith, Meggan Windham, Orgieda Lias, Amanda Williams, LaCosta Meadows, and Mary Elizabeth Tadlock.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Randall of curriculum updated the board on the ELS and Math Benchmark Data report. The report showed what improvement had been made since all students were tested at the beginning of the year to present. Another assessment will be taken later in the semester.
The board approved to pay any teacher who is willing to gives up their planning period and teach a class. This is only done as a shortage and needed situation.
Covid is making its rounds within the schools. All schools at the time of the board meeting except for Magee Middle School are virtual. Numerous students and faculty have tested positive, and outbreaks have occurred causing closure at the schools.
Mendenhall 5th grade project is on time for completion. Bids for the Simpson Central project is expected to be ready around March.
Ms. Pierre Principal at Magee Middle School advised the board donations were accepted to give the teachers at Magee Middle School an incentive during Christmas with a $50 gift card to each teacher.
The following consent Agenda was approved:
· The Board approved to accept a $100.00 donation from Mr. & Mrs. Jim Brewer to purchase a banner to hang in the gym to celebrate the Boys’ Basketball team Mid-South Conference Championship.
· The Board approved for Jada Deal and Zach Jones to attend the State Beta Convention with Magee High Beta students, February 20-20, 2022, in Biloxi.
· The Board approved Abigail Myers and Amber Young to attend the Jr Beta Convention with Simpson Central Beta students, March 16-18th in Biloxi.
· The Board approved Dr. Deirdre Randall to attend Winter MASS, January 23-26, 2022, in Jackson, MS.
· The Board approved Crystal Brewer to attend the ASCA Board meeting, February 3-6, 2022, in Washington, D.C.
· Permission was granted for Dr. Derricka Thomas to apply for MS Professional Educator’s Administrator’s Grant for projects that boost morale and celebrate the district’s accomplishments
· The board approved to accept FY22 Special Education project application
· Permission was granted by the board for Stephanie Lee and Jordan Yates to attend MSASC Advisor’s Workshop, February 24, 2022, in Oxford, MS, and for both to attend the State Student Council Conference with Magee Middle students, March 11-13, 2022, in Oxford, MS.
· Permission was granted for Dr. Derricka Thomas to attend the 2022 School Nutrition Association Legislative Action Conference, March 5-9, 2022, in Washington, DC.
The following Contracts were approved
· Homeland Security Co-Op Agreement (Cybersecurity)
· Bailey Education
· Blueberry Peace Farm–Magee High Prom
Board member Lillie Hardy District 1 made a public announcement that a $5000 scholarship in her honor has been created for a young female from Simpson County.
The meeting entered executive session to discuss a student discipline. A special called meeting was set for Thursday, January 27, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. to discuss Superintendent evaluations and presentation of a bond resolution.
MageeNews.com is an online news source serving Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.