Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward MageeNews.com a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
By Andy Baeuerle
Much like Week 7, Mississippi had some exciting matchups in the 8th week of the 2022 NCAA College Football Season. From San Marcos, TX, to Rome, Georgia, and all in between, Mississippi teams played all across the Southeast this weekend in some exciting games.
The #7 Ole Miss Rebels traveled to Baton Rouge to face LSU in the historic Magnolia Bowl. The 11oth matchup between these two SEC powerhouses proved to be no easy match for Ole Miss as the Rebels fell to the Tigers 45-20. Next, coming off of a 27-17 loss to #22 Kentucky, the #24 MS State Bulldogs were looking to bounce back from two losses in one week. The second loss was not that of a game, but that of a player. Freshman offensive lineman Sam Westmoreland passed away at the age of 18. The Bulldogs traveled to Tuscaloosa with the memory of Westmoreland to face the #6 Alabama Crimson Tide. The Bulldog defense held the Tide back to only 30 points, but the Tide came out on top 30-6. Finally, in FBS, Southern Miss traveled to face the Texas State Bobcats in their 3rd Sun Belt matchup of 2022. After a close, last quarter 20-19 win over Arkansas State in Week 7, the Golden Eagles worked all week to improve their offense and defense. All this work paid off as the Eagles pulled a 20-14 win over the Bobcats. As a bonus, Magee native Chandler Pittman scored a 53-yard touchdown in the last 53 seconds of the game to put the Eagles back ahead.
In FCS, MS Valley State faced the Bethune Cookman Wildcats at home as they searched for their first win of 2022. Despite putting up the most points they have all season against a team (35), the Delta Devils were handed their 8th loss of the season. Next, we have Alcorn State. The Braves faced Texas Southern at home in Lorman this weekend. The Braves played strong but fell to Texas Southern 34-27 in front of a packed stadium at Homecoming. Finally, we have undefeated Jackson State. It was Homecoming in Jackson this weekend as the Campbell Fighting Camels came to town. Coach Sanders’ Tigers didn’t give up easily, topping Campbell 22-14. Next week, for the first time in the history of JSU, ESPN College Gameday will be at the BoomBox Classic in Jackson.
Division II and III Scores for Week 8:
- Delta State (7-0) @ Shorter (2-5): 45-10
- MS College (4-3) @ West Florida (5-1): 17-45
- Belhaven (5-1) vs Southern Virginia (0-6): 42-6
- Millsaps (3-3) vs Rhodes College (3-3): 7-31
Junior College Scores for Week 8:
- MS Gulf Coast (4-3) @ Hinds (4-3): 34-7
- Northeast MS (4-3) @ Coahoma (3-4): 17-14
- Co-Lin (3-4) @ East Central (0-7): 26-14
- Jones (7-0) @ MS Delta (0-7): 31-10
- Northwest MS (7-0) vs. Holmes (4-3): 41-14
- East Mississippi (4-3) vs. Itawamba (3-4): 38-10
- Pearl River (4-3) @ Southwest MS (2-5): 31-21
Junior College Schedule for Week 9
- Southwest MS (2-6) @ Holmes (4-4)
- Northeast MS (5-3) vs Northwest MS (8-0)
- East Mississippi (5-3) @ MS Delta (0-8)
- Itawamba (3-5) vs. Coahoma (3-5)
- Hinds (4-4) @ Co-Lin (4-4)
- MS Gulf Coast (5-3) vs. Jones (8-0)
- East Central (0-8) vs. Pearl River (5-3)
NCAA College Football Week 9 Schedule
- #15 Ole Miss (7-1) @ Texas A&M (3-4)
- Mississippi State (5-3) OFF WEEK
- Southern Miss (4-3) vs Louisiana (4-3)
- Jackson State (7-0) vs. Southern (5-2)
- Alcorn State (3-4) @ Grambling (1-6)
- MS Valley State (0-8) OFF WEEK
- Mississippi College (4-4) vs. Delta State (8-0)
- Belhaven (6-1) vs. La Grange (1-5)
Millsaps (3-4) @ Berry (
MageeNews.com is an online news source serving Simpson and surrounding counties as well as the State of Mississippi.